The Life and Times of Florence Knitingale

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Look! I'm Famous!!

When I read the comment by Bird Advocate, I had to go to his blog. I was delighted to find that he considers my quiet little knitting blog to be of such importance! And I figured I should return the favor. Here are my responses to his concerns, in no particular order:

1. I have a gift for hyperbole. While it is true that Ed has a fondness for bunnies, he has not truly managed to kill as many as I may have implied. About two in the last two years, I believe. Additionally, this area has a serious overpopulation of bunnies, thanks to complete idiots who adopt them, don't want them, and dump them. Frankly, I think it better to euthanize them than dump them (and better still not to adopt them if you don't plan to keep them for life) but I would rather have Ed kill one occasionally than watch them die slowly of disease and starvation. Call me crazy.

2. I am the owner of a feral cat whom I adopted and keep indoors. Because of me, there is one less cat out killing things. (Gussie) Probably more, in fact, seeing as how my intervention has kept her from reproducing and creating still more cats to kill off wildlife.
3. I am also the owner of another rescue cat that remains indoors. (Gracie)

4. The only reason I have outdoor cats at this time in my life is because the lovely man I married had outdoor cats when I met him. They grew up in farm country and their lifestyle is healthy and logical for them. They are all neutered and spayed and have their shots.

5. I still live in a very rural area which has a very healthy rodent population.

6. My neighbors, contrary to Bird Advocate's opinion, frequently express their gratitude that our cats keep the rodent population down in the neighborhood.

7. We have mice and wood rats around here. I hate to be overly logical, but rodents like these carry disease. I'm okay with my cats killing and eating a few of them.

8. My husband is a scientist who specializes in infectious disease and he asked me to point out that significantly more birds die each year due to West Nile Virus than to any amount of feline hunting. Also pollution (I wonder if bird advocate drives a car....?), and human hunting.

9. While bird advocate might think it better for me to allow the "critters" in the neighborhood to live happily, I find this to be a bit of an idealized view. Rodents breed like crazy and have a disturbing tendency NOT to be anthropomorphized Disneyesque characters who turn into coachmen and break into song. Sadly. Rather, they damage property, carry fleas and, as noted above, spread disease.
10. Human land use and development has wildly damaged the ecosystem, eliminating many of the natural predators for rodents, such as coyotes. Perhaps bird advocate lives in a treehouse or something and, as such, can speak from a loftier position than I.

11. This would probably surprise bird advocate, but I am an animal lover. It is for this reason that I would far rather allow some feline hunting than the arguably greater cruelty of poison and traps.

12. While I would agree that domestic cats do not need to live and hunt outdoors, it is worth noting that humans domesticated cats for their own pleasure. Cats did indeed start out as wild creatures with every right to hunt in the outdoors. True, if I feed them and keep them indoors, they will not hunt. This could be said of all predatory animals. Truth is, our cats clearly serve a valuable purpose out here.

13. If bird advocate would kindly send me his address, I would be delighted to send him a crate of moles for him to save. Frankly, I'm getting tired of turning my ankle in the holes they leave in the yard.

Not that I have opinions on this sort of thing or anything. You know, I wouldn't have said a word if he hadn't put me on his blog....but now I kinda gotta--if only to clarify the apparent misunderstandings (such as his seeming belief that I am the proud owner of the world's most efficient bunny-killing machines and think it's funny).
To move on, I have for Monica, a little Ed beefcake:

This was taken just after I told him that you lust after him, Monica. I think you made his night. (And he loved the scritch.)
And finally some weather pics:


Isn't it purty?? Just for kicks and grins (and because I can't resist playing with new toys), I did another one all artsy-like:

A happy Thursday to all. I'm going downstairs to pet my vicious predator (who is currently curled up in front of the fire, looking ever so terrifying.)

14 Comments:

  • At 3:15 PM, Blogger Dianne said…

    You kick ass so eloquently!!..Be careful how you 'harbor those vicious animals'..hugs~~

     
  • At 3:39 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    you are wicked! in a good way! :-o

     
  • At 4:08 PM, Blogger Marianne said…

    This is the post I was waiting for, I followed his comment also and 'read all about it' and ~knew~ you would post a response. Of course, he could have actually read through your blog and figured it out himself, but nooooooooo. A bit like 'those' bankers and the STR crapola that went down,eh? Research your shit people!
    Be sure and give all those sweet albeit ferocious Kittingales snuggles and smurfs from their Auntie.
    (shall we hold our breath waiting for a response from him? ;) )

     
  • At 4:10 PM, Blogger Marianne said…

    damnit, ADD strikes again.
    Those photos made me swoon, absolutely swooning over here. Beautiful!

     
  • At 5:43 PM, Blogger Bird Advocate said…

    1. I have a gift for hyperbole. While it is true that Ed has a fondness for bunnies, he has not truly managed to kill as many as I may have implied. About two in the last two years, I believe. Additionally, this area has a serious overpopulation of bunnies, thanks to complete idiots who adopt them, don't want them, and dump them. Frankly, I think it better to euthanize them than dump them (and better still not to adopt them if you don't plan to keep them for life) but I would rather have Ed kill one occasionally than watch them die slowly of disease and starvation. Call me crazy.

    Thank you for the publicity. Uh, you have a plague of domestic bunnies running loose? Yeah, rightttttt.

    5. I still live in a very rural area which has a very healthy rodent population.

    Cats are not the answer to a bad rodent problem. I'll show you why not in a moment.

    6. My neighbors, contrary to Bird Advocate's opinion, frequently express their gratitude that our cats keep the rodent population down in the neighborhood.

    Oh, every neighbor for two blocks around, huh? That's impressive! I'm so glad for you, most people hate others cats defecating and urinating in their flower beds.

    7. We have mice and wood rats around here. I hate to be overly logical, but rodents like these carry disease. I'm okay with my cats killing and eating a few of them.
    8. My husband is a scientist who specializes in infectious disease and he asked me to point out that significantly more birds die each year due to West Nile Virus than to any amount of feline hunting. Also pollution (I wonder if bird advocate drives a car....?), and human hunting.


    Your husband being an epidemiologist I'm sure he knows the cats are more likely to kill out beneficial mice opening your area to invasive species. My source:

    Dr. Cole Hawkins conducted a study of two grassland parks in the East Bay Regional Park District in California--one with no cats and one where over 20 cats were being fed daily. The study found that there were almost twice as many birds in the park without cats as in the park with cats. California Thrasher and California Quail, two common ground-dwelling birds, were always seen in the park without cats but were never seen in the park with cats. In addition, over 85 percent of the native deer and harvest mice trapped were in the park without cats, whereas over 75 percent of the house mice (an exotic pest) trapped were in the park with cats.
    https://www.denix.osd.mil/denix/Public/ES-Programs/Conservation/Legacy/SafeCats/faq_commanders.html
    Thanks again for the publicity.

     
  • At 7:19 PM, Blogger Faren said…

    Very pretty pictures, we should be getting some of the white stuff soon.
    Love the picture of Ed!

     
  • At 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ::SNORT:: Ok, ya got me back with the BA responses, and it was Coke I was drinking. [g] Wish I had a tape to contribute of the local news story about feral - yes, domestic rabbits, i.e., not wild, native, free-range rabbits - over-running golf courses and breeding like, well, rabbits... in PDX several years ago, because of all the nimrods who dumped them after every Easter. (Like the nimrods who dump excess cats and dogs in the country because they think folks out there have room and food for them all. I lived in the country several years, I know what it's like.) The Humane Society was quite saddened because they had to help round the feral rabbits up to prevent disease to the native rabbits and - guess what? Kill them, because there weren't enough people adopting them. Oh, wait. I forgot. This situation is apparently not possible, according to sources. Guess the news story was faked.

    Never mind, it's a troll. Trolls have no sense of humor and won't shut up. One funny post is all it gets. Google/Blogger does have a blocking function, doesn't it?

    And an Ed pic! For me! ::swoon:: (We shall gently draw a veil of discretion over the excessively girly-like squealing noises which are definitely not emanating in any way from my general vicinity. I am much too aged and dignified to be indulging in such excesses, much less admit to them. You didn't hear anything of the sort, whatsoever.) Thankyouthankyouthankyou! I'm so glad he enjoyed the scritch. ;) And I greatly enjoyed the snow pix - beautiful!!

     
  • At 9:30 PM, Blogger Marianne said…

    Go check this out
    http://veganvogue.blogspot.com/
    today's post. go read.
    troll. yep. troll.

     
  • At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your husband is right Florence ..I dare not say anything as when he boasts he served in the military I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tempted to say I belong to an organisation for the preservation of Native Vietnamese or something .So killing people with guns is okay ( often in defence of the homeland etc ..true ) but for food bad . Surely ( if I get the point ) an awful lot of native wildlife is eating an awful lot of other wildlife out there .Marianne you are braver tham me.

     
  • At 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I see he now has blog owner approval ..as I just posted that I am a member of the worm and bug preservation society ...look after those gorgeous cats .

     
  • At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow. Who would thought that an outside cat would chase critters and do stuff to 'em.

    Who exactly is this bird advocate? and have they EVER had a non-condescending chat with ANYBODY?

    Moron.

    I love how you had an answer for everything. Y'know, this person reminds me of a really pompous guy I went to high school with!

     
  • At 8:34 AM, Blogger Ms. Knitingale said…

    All right,bird advocate, you've had your say. I'm all in favor of healthy debate over differing opinion; however, at the point where you respond to things I've said by simply accusing me of dishonesty, the conversation has disintegrated into an undignified brawl. I wish you well in your endeavors; please take your soapbox to another blog and leave this one to the knitting humor for which it was intended. I will be moderating comments for time; yours will not be accepted.

     
  • At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That was a great link Marianne , a sensible approach. We have a lot of Grey Squirrel haters here but I just don't get it .The red ones are lovely but the greys were smarter. I am not sure anyone really knows which animal is really native anywhere .Even Australia is having trouble with the Koala and we all think they are native .I know I'm not native to this Island but I love it .I don't think you could really get a better point than yours about Native people Marianne. Anglos here killed and hunted the Celts and are now considered the English ....my history is really rusty but they were Germanic, French ,Scandinavians etc .I think he sounds like the human equivilant of a terrorist and might well be on an F.B.I list as a danger .I am sure they are looking for mind-sets capable of any violence .I know I'd have him as a suspected perpetrator of hate .

     
  • At 3:36 PM, Blogger Faren said…

    Ahem to that, Mrs. K!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home