The Life and Times of Florence Knitingale

Friday, August 17, 2007

Wow.....

I used to be able to speak eloquently...now I'm just blown away by the love and generousity of all of you. Thank you isn't enough...but it's a start. There are no words to tell you how much I appreciate all of you participating in the miner's blankets with me (see the previous post if you missed it). I called a newspaper in Utah today to see if I could find out where to send the finished blankies; I got the number for city hall, and I ended up talking with a reporter who wants to write about the project in the paper. This thing is bigger than I am, that's for sure.

To answer the questions: Any worsted weight yarn. Any at all. I agree that washable is most logical, but I don't want anyone to have to make any special--and possibly expensive purchases.

I don't have a deadline at present, because I really don't have a sense yet of who all will participate. So if you want to participate, please do. Don't fret about deadlines. I'll keep you all posted as to the progress. If I get too many squares, well, that's the best problem I could hope to have. I'll just make more blankets for the familes of the rescuers.

In a perfect world, I'd love it if people could put a black border (perhaps single crochet?)around their squares, the better to quickly stitch them together with black yarn and have a unified look. If you can't or don't want to, though, no worries. I'll make it work.

You can send the squares to:
Miner Blanket Project
7714 230th Ave NE
Redmond, WA 98053

Any color. Any pattern. Any design. If it's 10 inches in worsted weight, it's perfect. And if you could jot a few words on a piece of paper and pin it to your square, so much the better. You can put your name on it or not, as you choose...but I was thinking how amazing it would feel to receive those blankets and read the loving, caring words of all the people who worked to make it. I would leave the notes pinned to the squares, so the recipients could associate the square with the words.

And I love you people more than I could ever say. I'm off to knit some squares. I'm thinking of a heart pattern I have, in the hopes of putting at least one heart square in every blanket. It seems like all the hearts involved in this--HUGE ones--should be represented.

Did I mention how amazing you are? And did I say thank you?

You are. And thank you again.

8 Comments:

  • At 6:58 PM, Blogger Tola said…

    ive already posted your last post on my blog. please email me so that i can send you a key to it.

     
  • At 8:23 PM, Blogger Marianne said…

    I don't even know if I have the words to express just how wonderful this project is, and how it's blossoming..thank you, Ms.K, for dreaming it up and making it real.
    I posted today (seriously,yes) and linked to you...hope it brings some folks over...

     
  • At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Posted info & links to the PDX Knit Bloggers group - check. (83 members. I'm sure that's lots more than read my blog.)

    Ordered some Cascade 220 superwash - check. (Dang, you'll probably have to do the edging on mine; sorry.)

    Will be blog posting too, later tonight - to be checked.

    Oh, hey; want a blog button made? I can do that. ;)

     
  • At 12:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was horrified to hear the statistics on how many miners die in the U.S each year . We don't have a mining industry now but I dare say it was the same if not worse. Everyday I hear the news and I suppose we have to believe they have gone now. I want to dig at that earth with my bear hands as I am sure all decent people do. I think of things like the sound of the whistle here that alerted townspeople that something was wrong at a pit and I feel angry . I do wonder if we want evrything too cheap so are all the safety measures are taken that should be? I can only pray that the families get some peace and that once it is sure they are dead more drastic measures can get them to their families to be laid to rest .

     
  • At 4:30 AM, Blogger Dianne said…

    I've started a square and would be happy to crochet a border if only I knew how to crochet...
    I'm in total agreement with Marianne..great project and thanks for taking the responsiblity for making it happen..I know you will find those folks in Utah easy to communicate with...huge hugs of thanks~

     
  • At 11:18 AM, Blogger Kate said…

    Square one done, square two in the works! Edges to be crocheted in black, check.

     
  • At 8:39 PM, Blogger Knit and fall back in it said…

    Marianne sent me over to check out your project. I am going on vacation next week and a couple of blankie squares sounds like the perfect vacation knitting. Count me in.

     
  • At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks to whomever designed your button! I now have you linked on my blog...it was the perfect thing to replace the dulaan project!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home