The Life and Times of Florence Knitingale

Thursday, August 09, 2007

In Case There Was Any Doubt...

I was running late for work this morning. This is not unusual--not because I sleep late, but because I get up early and then am possessed by unruly and unmanageable notion that I can do 1200 things before I have to leave ("I know--I'll wax the driveway! It'll only take a minute...then I can fix the hem on those pants, knit little cozies for the cats to sleep in, and arrange all the spices alphabetically"--it's worth pointing out that I am significantly bubblier in the morning than at any other time and, certainly than anyone has a right to be), and then all of a sudden I had to leave 10 minutes ago.

Today I was frantically trying to fit 20 minutes worth of things I HAD to do in the 30 seconds I'd left in which to do them, and I needed to remember the following things:

Wear pants
Bring purse
Bring keys
Bring lunch
Bring check from insurance company for doctor
Bring water bottle
Bring travel mug of tea
Wear pants (it's worth repeating this one, as it's written right into the rule book at work that we must wear both halves of a set of scrubs)

What I actually ended up with was:
I did wear pants (thankfully)
I brought my purse, but only after nearly leaving without it
I brought my keys because the car wouldn't start without them
I brought my water bottle after snagging it by the handle and whapping myself upside the head with it--and it's always half frozen
I remembered the tea, but spilled half of it in the garage
I did not bring the check for the doctor
I brought my lunch bag, but did not actually put any lunch in it.

BUT

I did bring my knitting bag. I didn't have time to knit today, and I knew I wouldn't have time to knit today and I couldn't eat the yarn inside or the pattern and I really needed lunch and more tea and not to have whapped myself upside the head with my half-frozen water bottle but....

I brought the knitting bag.

It's official. Knitting has become more important than food. I'm not a well woman.

7 Comments:

  • At 3:41 AM, Blogger Marianne said…

    But food can be found with relative ease close to work, right? (there had best be a responding 'right' from you...)
    'Wear pants'....silly rules.

     
  • At 6:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think that's a perfectly reasonable prioritization, so long as pants and purse have made it along. I mean, one can always find some sort of place to procure food from, so long as one has pants on and purse (with wallet inside) as well -- even if by "food" we really are talking about a bag of chips from the gas station, you can always be sure to find that sort of thing easier than you'll find a roadside yarnstop!

     
  • At 8:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yep. There is now no doubt at all.

    We're related.

    Ok, except for that bubbly-in-the-morning thing. That you must gotten from the other side of the family. ;) Maybe Marianne's. ::giggles then runs like hell::

     
  • At 8:42 AM, Blogger Tola said…

    *always* keep an emergency knitting project in the car. mine is a felted bag that im obviously not in a hurry to finish.

     
  • At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My god I love your posts! Since I discovered you last month you have become a necessity in my house for both myself and my husband. Your post on the gator beating had me in stitches all day. Always you capture life "as she is lived". Rock on.

    Jeanette

     
  • At 10:00 AM, Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said…

    I don't see the problem here. You got it right. Is something more important than the knitting bag?

    (Our car broke down on the way to a really really important appointment one day and while DH was frantically making phone calls I was thinking, 'Oh help, I didn't bring any knitting...what will I do?)

     
  • At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm horribly bubbly in the morning too Florence , drives Holly mad . I do think knitting is very , very important but a quote from Sherlock Holmes ( with Roo of course) "the body is like a fire in a grate it will go out without more fuel" .

     

Post a Comment

<< Home