The Life and Times of Florence Knitingale

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

We're Still Not in Kansas Anymore...

But I still have stories and photos. First, the delightful Marianne:



In one hand she has the newly acquired stash enhancement, in the other....well.....see this meter?Yeah...we didn't. At least, not until AFTER the hour and a half shopping spree. Oops. Something about knitters and yarn stores...especially those with "barn" in the name which, let's face it, does suggest a certain wealth of yarn just begging to be explored. Note that she is smiling. That's because the total fee on the ticket was exactly $2.00. Yep. $2.00. Beats me why anyone bothers to feed the meter around there (there, by the way, is Lawrence, KS, Faren. Sorry I didn't tell you yesterday...but you're right. You need to go there. Can't you just hear the wool calling you?). The meters in Seattle are so expensive that it would actually be cheaper to take the ticket....mind you, I suspect that the tickets here might also be slightly more expensive. And I doubt that the local traffic court judges accept wool fumes as an extenuating circumstance (which is just wrong...).

Okay, so I did do a few other things besides the yarn crawl. On Saturday we went with my SIL, her hubby, and her son to the new WWI museum in Kansas City, which was really a great experience. If you're in that area, don't miss it. Of course, trust me to emerge from the museum with my camera securely attached to my wrist....and not one photo. (Not much in the way of brain cells, either, apparently...but this no longer surprises me.) Being that I am a Knitingale, I was drawn to the section with medical equipment and supplies. Then I had a serious attack of the willies at the mere thought of being treated with some of that stuff. Kind of amazing anyone made it out alive.

From there we went to lunch where I did exactly what might be expected if a person were foolish enough to go on a four day trip with one pair of jeans, all the more so if they were favorite jeans. Yep. Big old blob of barbecue sauce. Which was made all the better that evening by the addition of a blob of butter that night at dinner on the other leg. Oh yeah. You definitely want to dine out with me. I'll bet Emily Post would come to me for etiquette advice if she only knew of my keen prowess. The next morning found me tearing around Target, desperately trying to find an inexpensive pair of jeans that didn't make my ass look like two wrestling pigs, or my thighs like blue sausages. (who wears a size one, anyway? That's not a size, it's the age at which I last fit into anything that small). Success was marginal...but it got me through the rest of the trip. During which I only ate non drippy food. While leaning over the plate. With about a thousand napkins on my lap. The gods must not have been at their best, though, because the really humerous thing then would have been to spill on my shirt.

We had a gift exchange and my OM (other mom) almost made me cry with her gift of a mug that says "Nurse" on it; I love that she believes I'll make it. If you're reading this, thanks , Mom. I'll try to make you proud. My sister-by-other-parents (sister in law) also made me want to cry with a photo album that says "Sisters" on the front and a picture of us together inside. I'm looking forward to adding to it....assuming both of us can actually agree on a picture that we don't think makes us look fat, sleepy, old, goofy, or whatever. Cameras and I....it's a long war. I'd rather not talk about it.

The next day took us to Union Square shopping where I bought a stuffed Kansas cow (gotta add to the herd) and managed to eat without spilling on myself. Twice. It was a banner day. Speaking of cows, Marianne brought me one, too--a little one with an udder. It's so darned cute I can hardly stand it.

Let's see...what else....I wanted to include a photo of OM, but she craftily dodged the camera. Next time....next time. I'm a patient woman. I did manage a photo of her cat Toots who evidently shares Grace's love of packing:

And, just in case you can't tell how huge she is:

It's a good thing she's sweet...otherwise, we'd be seeing headlines about the cat that swallowed Kansas.

And before I finish, I have to say this: I went to check my grades online today and I got 4.0 in each of my three classes. Oh, yeah. I am one happy chiquita. Now, if I can just do that 8 more times......

8 Comments:

  • At 11:09 AM, Blogger Marianne said…

    I had absolutely no doubts that you would be 4.0, and 8 more times? Oh yeah, you'll do it...
    I will be patient with the universe knowing that we will receive more time.......
    How in the world did I miss Toots?!?

     
  • At 12:55 PM, Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said…

    Congrats on the marks! What fun meeting Marianne! I was reminded of my visit with Jo of Celtic Memory Yarns when she visited me here and went to my LYS and our homemade chocolate shop! Thanks for the memories! I am with you - who wears a size 1?

     
  • At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ms. K, I'm glad you had such a great time on your trip, and even gladder that you're home safely and blogging again. I sure do miss your very funny, well written posts when you're away. Many congratulations on your grades -- I know you can keep it up!

     
  • At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh DAMN! You were right in my HOME TOWN! If I had only known...grr. Well, it looks like awesome times were had anyways. :)

     
  • At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Man...I need to go on another yarn crawl. After the stash fasting of course....

     
  • At 9:48 PM, Blogger Faren said…

    That's awesome! Very good job on your grades! We don't get that way very often, but Lawrence is less than 3 hrs away, I'm sure I can talk hubby into a weekend drive sometime. I'm glad you guys had fun, but I'm glad your back posting too!

     
  • At 12:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There is a U.S size 0 Holly tells me ( she buys U.S Vogue) must be for invisable people ! Love that cat although probably not if it jumped on my lap! Well done on your grades .

     
  • At 8:42 AM, Blogger Ms. Knitingale said…

    Kit, I tried to post a comment on your blog but it wouldn't let me for some reason....I wanted to ask you where in Kansas you are. I was in Overland Park....but I visited Kansas City and Lawrence. Great work on the weight thing, by the way. I do know the evil calling of peanut butter....as a friend of mine used to say,lead me not into temptation, I can find it for myself.

    Angie--size 0???? I think whomever wears that probably needs a cookie, like right now. Kim and Faren, I missed you guys, too, I really did. It's good to be back. And Peg, I do hope to get up your way at some point. After all, BC is but a hop, skip, and a jump away. Marianne, I have no idea how you missed Toots....unless her sheer bulk was blotting out the light in the room....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home