The Life and Times of Florence Knitingale

Friday, August 24, 2007

A Picture Worth a Million Words

Look what was waiting in my mailbox today:

Yep. An envelope full of love and support and caring from Jean in Surrey. It is soft and lovely and, if you look at the color pattern, it almost brings to mind the English countryside--the blues above the greens and all. And it is most assuredly a gift from Jean's heart, and I am grateful and touched beyond belief. Jean, you are a star.

Now, with the 3 and a half that I've got (Jean, you put me to shame with how fast you turned this out--and you're even knitting on smaller needles than I am!), that makes.....175.5 squares to go. Totally manageable. I don't even have to put my head between my knees to keep from fainting when I look at the number. Which is odd because, as I believe I've mentioned, I couldn't organize a booze-up in a saloon that just got a whiskey delivery so you'd think I'd be unglued. But, as amazing and brilliant and talented as I know you all to be, I suspect even that is just the tip of the iceberg. I don't doubt that we'll make this happen. Not for a minute.



Judy, I'm beyond thrilled that your knitting group wants to make squares, too. I started this whole thing before the untimely and tragic deaths of three rescuers, but I had thought that if I received enough squares, I would try to put together blankets for those families as well. For now, I'm playing it by ear, but I'd love to be able to do it. Mr. K says he figures any day now he'll come home and find a giant UPS truck backed up to the porch with mountains of wool showering down out of the back.



And there's a problem with this because.....?



Kathleen, thank you for offering the stitch markers--I'd be thrilled with that, too. Only thing is....I'm supposed to be offering prizes to you guys. I think expecting you to make your own prizes smacks of the same sort of chutzpah that allows my cats to knead energetically on my bladder at 3:00am and then look surprised and duck when I wake up and try to pet them. That said, if you want to share your talent and help in that way, I will humbly thank you and accept....and I'll even make sure you don't win back your own gift!

I must go back to the needles and get some more squares made. But before I do, I offer this photo of Gracie--I THOUGHT someone had been adjusting the pedals on the bike for shorter legs!


9 Comments:

  • At 8:53 PM, Blogger Marianne said…

    What a beautiful square! and fast!
    oh...yeah, I asked Gracie to do that for me, I KNOW my legs are shorter than yours...and well, you know...teleporting to exercise and all that...heh...sorry, I asked her to put them back...

     
  • At 8:04 AM, Blogger Paula said…

    Nice square! I've got one done and will do more and then post them when I am in the US in a couple of weeks. So you can probably expect that big truck around then (-: .

    That Marianne! What a trouble maker.

     
  • At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What size needles do you suggest? Thanks and God Bless.

     
  • At 9:48 AM, Blogger Ms. Knitingale said…

    Anonymous--I've been using size 8 needles which seems to work pretty well for me. Jean definitely used something smaller--much finer work, bless her--but I'm good with whatever feels best to you. Thanks so much for being part of this!!!

     
  • At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lovely square, Jean! So is the photo of the mine engine; very nice touch. Boy, those of from the U.S. better hurry up. ;) I had to giggle re the needle sizes, Flo. The Cascade 220 label (light worsted, for whoever may not have used it before) blithely says US 7 or 8's, but after a brief fling with 6's, I whapped myself (figuratively), and remembered with light worsted, I always have to use...5's. Talk about a loose knitter here. (Stop that, Marianne!)

    On the bright side, after some backtracking *kof*, I managed to get about 2" done on my first square before I stumbled off to bed. [g] Slowly but surely! And boy, does it feel weird with bigger needles after using 0's on a sock for all my knitting lately.

    Giggling at Mr. K's comment, and LOL about Gracie! You too, Marianne. Tsk, you're exercising after all that moving work? Siddown, take a rest and knit, woman! ;)

     
  • At 5:00 PM, Blogger Dianne said…

    What a gorgeous square..and Gracie is quite the poser...I'm almost complete with square 2..and I'd also like to make a donation of something fibrous when I send mine along..just for 'grits and shins'..

     
  • At 7:07 PM, Blogger ~Tonia~ said…

    What a beautiful square. I am sure that the people that get these will love them.

     
  • At 11:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    From Jean from Surrey aka Jean from Cornwall - Because that is where I grew up.
    I used size 4.5mm needles (Addi turbos to be exact) which are size 7 in both UK and US sizing.
    By the way, the yarn is named Freedom Spirit which just make you want to knit it!

     
  • At 4:13 AM, Blogger KimK said…

    Dear Ms. K. -- I'm halfway through number 2, and plan on making at least one more. Would you let me know where to post them? My e-mail is nyuterru [at] aol [dot] com.

    I know you'll be getting lots soon!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home