The Life and Times of Florence Knitingale

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Time in a Bloggle

The cheery newscaster informed me cheerily this morning that I need to remember to "Spring Forward today!!". She is far too happy about this, possibly because she has to get to work at half past something insane every morning and therefore enjoys the torture of the rest of the country, at least one day per year.

Yes, I will admit the truth right here in public: I do not like Daylight Savings Time. Further, I have never once "sprung" forward, preferring instead to "trudge resentfully and whinily" forward, knowing absolutely that I will be losing sleep and engaging in numerous tragic knitting accidents as my internal clock reluctantly attempts to catch up.

Okay, so I recognize that the origins of DST go all the way back to America as an agrarian, un-mechanized society, when there was a desperate need for extra daylight hours if all the work was to have a sheep's chance at a knitting convention of actually getting done. I get that, I do. But that we still do it puzzles me mightily. For one thing, it really doesn't sound like an official sort of thing.....it sounds more like something a drunk college student might come up with, as in "Ohhhh...crap. It can't be midnight already! I have a 7 am class and I still have to go home. Wait--I know...let me just mess with the clock...there! Now it's 11 o'clock! Cool--oh, and hey--now I have time for another beer!"

I think it's worse now that they're making us set the clocks ahead even sooner. I've only just started to get a bit of light in the mornings when I leave for school and it's being snatched away from me again, thus assuring that I will arrive at school looking like nothing so much as a mole or a boiled owl, blinking stupidly in the fluorescent lights as I try unsuccessfully to scuttle for a darkened corner. (Did you know that the people who run the school have a problem with my attempting to curl up in a darkened closet upon my arrival? I say they have no real appreciation for whose tuition dollars are paying their salaries.) I've tried to get the teachers to teach by candlelight, the better to ease me from dark to light, but Chemistry is my first class and Dr. L seems to feel that open flame around chemicals is a bad thing. Some people have no sense of adventure. You know, now that I think about it, she's somewhat suspiciously perky, too......

Arizona and Hawaii...now they get it. They just refuse to play this particular game and I feel duty-bound to point out that neither state has exploded, burned to the ground, or had all its citizens sent swiftly to hell. Mr. K tells me that my unreasonable dislike of time manipulation is not a good enough reason to move to either state (neither, apparently, is my equally unreasonable desire to wear a grass skirt to work) so I'll just have to try to convince the legislature of my state to get with the program....or without the program...or something. (See, my brain is already working in an inferior fashion in ANTICIPATION of this time change! And no, let's not ask the question about what sort of fashion it was working in prior to that. Some questions are better left unanswered.)

Then again, the muddling of my brain as a direct result of playing recklessly with time pretty much assures that I will be incapable of leading any sort of Daylight Savings Time revolt, or even of writing a coherent letter to my congressperson (let's see...the stamp goes....um...let's see, I used to know that....). It must be all part of the same nefarious plan--you know, the one that includes having me wake up at what feels like O'Crap O'Clock to get dressed in the dark (another good reason for not having strong light at whatever location I'm going to, by the way. A woman can only take so much humiliaton, and arriving at a public place wearing shoes of two different colors and a bra on the outside of her sweater just really pushes that envelope).

Did I mention that I really don't want to set my clock ahead tonight? I did? Oh. Okay. I ranted, too, huh? Yeah, sorry about that. It's that perky newscaster's fault. I'm not sure how it's her fault...but it can't be normal to be that perky after getting up at 3 am, so she's probably a pod person so it's okay to blame her. Or so my dreading-time-change logic goes. I'm telling you, People--messing with the Time-Space continuum stuff can only lead to heartache. (I have no idea what that means....but doesn't it sound impressive?)

Mr. K has decided to attempt to soothe the savage wife by taking me on a day date today. We'll be going to one of the places we went while we were dating, which is a bit of a drive but well worth it. I'll try to take some pictures of Puget Sound for you, as the place we're going is right by the ferry dock. See, I'm calmer already.

In case this doesn't work, though, you guys in Arizona? You may want to think about making up a guest room for me.

12 Comments:

  • At 9:06 AM, Blogger Charity said…

    I hear you - I'm not a big fan of DST, either. Just so you know, there is a pocket up here in Northern BC/Alberta that doesn't change times, either! Sadly, I moved out of it to live here, but it's nice to know it's still there. :0) Not that you'd want to come up here when you could escape to Arizona!

     
  • At 9:07 AM, Blogger Kitty Mommy said…

    I personally like DST, because my short people think that light=day so do you know what time they get up in summer, even with the extra hour??? But I am firmly behind you in the flipping back and forth every spring and fall. My internal clock isn't amused.

     
  • At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am soooo with you, Ms. K. Plus - I don't get the whole light-saving thing - it seems like we're just reallocating it to a time when we're all mostly home anyway, doing all the stuff we didn't get to during the day while we were working. So, we turn on MORE lights in the morning so as to see where we're going, and then we use roughly the same energy at the far end of the day. Don't get it.
    I am glad to see that I am not the only ...irritable...soul around this time of year.
    Drive carefully. Up your intake of caffiene. Don't look at the clock if you can help it. Carry on.
    Good luck!

     
  • At 10:52 AM, Blogger knottykitty said…

    I'm with you, Ms. K! I'll help lead the revolt! I SOOOOOO hate DST as it is, and now that they are torturing me already with the forced early "spring forward," I'm really grumbling! How did humankind survive the evening darkness for all of those eons without Congress to mess with our sleep? Oh,...that's how they survived! It's evil I tell you, and it makes for extra grouchiness on my part.... :)

     
  • At 11:01 AM, Blogger Karen said…

    I hate the thought of doing that tonight too. I already don't get enough sleep, now the government is depriving me of another hour.

     
  • At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I never want to Fall back Florence being a great lover of lighter evenings so I can go out more but I know exactly what you mean about dark mornings. I think Arizona must be really sassy ...I doubt any county would be allowed to have a different time-zone but then we don't have county attorney Generals etc.Maybe I could persuade Reading's Labour M.P to insist we want lighter Winter evenings .

     
  • At 2:59 PM, Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said…

    There is one time you will think the 'spring forward' time change is okay, Ms. K. - the night you have to work a 12-hr. night shift! I know you only have one hour less to work, but some nights that seems like a total gift! Hopefully, you can avoid the 12 hr. night shifts in the fall!

     
  • At 3:49 PM, Blogger Lynn said…

    Oh yeah, I totally get this! Thumbs up, sister! The only thing good about springing forward, or lurching forward, or being dragged kicking and screaming forward, is the blissful, eventual, falling back.

    Back when I had a small herd of dairy goats, they weren't any fonder of DST than you or I. Wreaked havoc on their milk production, let me tell you. And when we fell back, and they had to wait an extra hour to get some relief? They were maa-aa-aa-aa-aa-aad!

     
  • At 4:35 PM, Blogger Kit said…

    I know a secret about that perky newscaster.

    Caffeine IV bags. She just connects it straight to her veins. She may even have a port catheter so it's right in the arteries, all she has to do is beat her heart which is happening quite naturally at an alarming rate. Huzzah!

     
  • At 8:44 AM, Blogger Marianne said…

    Of course I'm with you...who the hell decides this anyway? and Why oh why was I not consulted??? Why does Arizona and Hawaii not have to, did they vote? who gets to vote? again, no one consulted me on this...I think we should be able to vote on this, the PEOPLE...and keep it the hell there...now then, do you want to know how I really feel about it????

    XOXOXOX

     
  • At 8:47 AM, Blogger beckie said…

    I am in total agreement. I hate the fact that I am the one that has to reset most of our clocks too! Just another punch in the face...Grr on DST!

     
  • At 7:52 PM, Blogger Fiberjoy said…

    Preach it sistah! As a farmer my dad railed against DST and from what he said agrarians hated DST - farmers prefer hitting the fields as early as possible. Early sunshine means the dew burns off earlier. His take was that it was totally commerical, stores say consumers spend more when it's light out but who goes shopping early in the morning? I'd heard that take for many years so it was a surprise to suddenly begin reading a few years back that it conserves energy. What a bunch of hooey!

    A side note: Part of Arizona switches to DST - The vast Navajo Reservation that covers a great deal of Northern AZ moves to DST since part of the Rez is in Utah and NM. We called it Navajo time. Totally confusing when it came to playing games with off rez schools or having appointments in Flagstaff. Crazy!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home