The Life and Times of Florence Knitingale

Saturday, November 18, 2006

I Have New Friends!



These are the lovely ladies of Little Knits. If you’ve been to/ordered from them, you already know how awesome they are. If you haven’t—well, hurry!!! It was Marianne who introduced me to them, which is funny because they’re in Seattle, I’m in Redmond (just east of Seattle) and she’s in…..Oklahoma. (Yeah…..I’m so familiar with my own city. If you ever come see me, be sure to bring a good map. It’s pretty clear that I’ll get you lost in a heartbeat. “Space needle? Isn’t that some sort of big pointy thing? Let’s see….I’m pretty sure I heard about that….” ). I ordered yarn from them once I followed Marianne’s sage advice and checked them out and I swear—the only way they could have gotten it to me any faster would be if they were sitting out in my driveway with an armload of yarn, one finger poised towards the doorbell. Awesome service.

Anyhow, hubby and I made the trek across the water (it’s a half hour drive—but I always make it sound like an arctic adventure. It’s the whole “driving in Seattle thing. Seriously, do not get me started. There are times when it would be quicker to run into Seattle across the traffic, leaping car roof to car roof in the manner of some sort of adventure movie), so we decided to check out Little Knits in person. Turns out, I LOVE these women! I’m the one in the black sweater looking oddly red faced (great, some women become handsome, or elegant, or appear to have more character in their faces as they age…I trade my head in for a tomato); sitting next to me under a pile of Atacama alpaca (currently on a great sale, as I recall) is Sue Fulay (pronounced like “July” only with an “F”). She’s unbelievably funny and quite possibly invented the concept of customer service. Within seconds of walking into the charming little place (which was wall to wall with yummy yarns…I’m pretty sure I had a dream about something like this) she had my husband settled in a comfy chair and Anna (the dark haired one standing in the photo; next to her with an armload of yarn is Rebecca) was helping me find stuff, getting things down for me, and checking inventory for anything I wanted but couldn't find. Talk about wool heaven. Even Mr. K said it was a ton of fun because all of the women were so fun and funny.

And….look what followed me home:



Actually, it was more than two balls that followed me home (how could I resist? It was so cute, wagging its ball band and begging to be made into a sweater….). Even Sue’s regular price on this stuff is better than I’ve ever seen at $8.50 a ball—but she currently has it on sale for $6.29. Or rather, that’s what it ended up costing to have it follow me home…since surely I wouldn’t add yarn to my already insane stash. By the way, does anyone know if stuffing a guest mattress with yarn is a feasible thing…..? No, no reason. I just wondered. What about a seldom used couch?

Anyway, if you haven’t checked out Little Knits, do. I love this place. I told Mr. K that today was the most fun I’ve ever had buying yarn, and it’s true.

The rest of our day was spent downtown at the Science Fiction museum. Yep, Seattle has a whole museum dedicated to Science Fiction. It’s tucked in with the Experience Music Project which, in my opinion, (cover your eyes if you love the EMP building) is the ugliest building to ever sprout, funguslike from the urban landscape. I tried to get a picture of it for you, but even the camera didn’t like it. I couldn’t blame it. Frankly, I wouldn’t have been surprised to have it slam its shutter closed in protest. But I digress (unusually for me, don’t you think?).

The Sci-Fi museum is big, and loaded with memorabilia from sci-fi literature, TV, and movies. As someone who grew up watching Star Trek (I had the worst crush on Spock….which probably says something a bit odd about me, but I prefer not to examine it too closely), I thought this was pretty great. They had the original Capt. Kirk chair, along with several of the uniforms. (Remember the tiny little dresses they made Uhura and the rest of the women wear? Yep, they’re that tiny. One false move in those and the world’s your gynecologist.) They had stuff from Star Wars, Blade Runner, War of the Worlds, Battlestar Galactica—you name it. If it’s science fiction, it was there. We had a blast. My only frustration was that they didn’t allow cameras so I couldn’t take a single photo for you, just in case you actually give two balls of cheap yarn one way or the other about sci-fi. Bummer.

In the walkway between the two museums (which share the building), they’ve placed a number of costumes, mostly from famous musicians such as Elton John, Sonny and Cher, Kiss, etc. but some, inexplicably, from just random famous people. So, naturally, I had to take a photograph of Mr. K next to the one that best shows how I see him:

And no, I don’t mean I see him wearing strangely high wasted briefs and red rubber boots. Rather, I mean he's my hero, my SuperHubby. He may not be able to leap tall buildings (45-year-old knees, you know), but he's still the most super thing in my world. (All together now: AWWWWWWW.) In case you were wondering how his hand is, he encouraged me to take this one in the odd modern sculpture outside:


We had a great day. And not just because it had yarn in it….although I don’t see how that could possibly hurt.

9 Comments:

  • At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey look! First comment!

    I've made new knitter friends too. It's so much fun spending time with these women. It's neat because I'm 15-20 years younger than most of them(rough guess I'm not good at guessing like that) but we all speak "knitting"

     
  • At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ok, what's in the bag he's holding?
    yeah, holding out on us?
    Dudette! You got to meet the Little Knits Dudettes! How cool is that! ack, I am so envious! I'd really enjoy a full account of the stash enhancement.
    Tomato-face,eh? Mine goes more of a beet, yeah, just lovely.
    I'm so glad you guys had a great day out.

     
  • At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ooooo, Spock! Yeah! And yarn, too. What a lovely day.

     
  • At 12:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've stuffed an old couch with all my ends ..so go ahead .Love that Kureyon ...Noro always calls to me.

     
  • At 5:52 AM, Blogger Pat said…

    I am so jealous!! What a wonderful yarn shop to have almost on your doorstep, and an SF museum too. Seattle has always been on our list of places we WILL get to one day, but it just went up the list a bit - what a destination for a knitter, SF fan and coffee addict!
    PS. glad you liked your parcel - we must have been having some psychic thingy going on - I just knew you'd like macroons and rosehip tea.

    Pat

     
  • At 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you so much for visiting us yesterday! It was a great break to a busy day during which we came through a bunch of boxes. I think you are beautiful (no red face in person), and tiny...despite my attempts to cover my tighs weith yarn I see that I have failed. :P

    You much back soon you hear!? That was my best Southern accent, which I adore.

    Fulay (Sue)
    Currently at the store at Little Knits

     
  • At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    PS. How do I edit that post...my goodness, so many typos!

    Fulay

     
  • At 5:58 PM, Blogger KimK said…

    Oh boy, sci-fi, too? I knew we were kindred spirits. And, yes, I was saying AWWWWW about you and Mr. K. even before I scrolled down to see "AWWWWW." Tee hee.

     
  • At 7:40 PM, Blogger Faren said…

    My husband and I love Sci-Fi, that musuem sounds like a lot of fun! I had a serious crush on Wesley from TNG. Love the old Battlestar Galatica too.
    Since I just bought the DVD, have you seen Firefly and Serenity? Awesome show by Joss Whedon creator of Buffy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home