The Life and Times of Florence Knitingale

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Stop Me Before I Craft Again

I have just finished the Miner's Blanket Project, arguably one of the largest things in which I've ever participated (there was also the time in high school when I decided to crochet a patchwork bedspread for a queen sized bed and no two squares could be alike and there were different patterns AND different colors and most of the patterns were designed be me including, God help me, a PLAID one--proof, if you ever wanted it, that the Knitingale brain cells began to trickle out early).

I just came off of what may be a personal kitchen best in that I have baked 11 items for goodie basket/tin giftgiving in 3 days:

Cookies and cream fudge
Milk chocolate and almond fudge (which, comfortingly, refused to set up until I messed with it some more in a damp panic--it's nice to know some things never changed. I did attempt to throw out the recipe since I believe it's the same one that's caught me before and honestly, you'd think even a person with two brain cells total could figure out to toss that particular recipe unless they have a thing for lumpy ice cream topping--but the damned thing disappeared. I still can't find it and I'm not naive enough to believe that it got tossed out anyway. No, I know that it's slunk back into my recipe file somewhere so that I can honor the same sorts of handwringing/swearing/shrieking tradition in the years to come)
Maple Pecan fudge
Cinnamon Tea Cakes (tasty, but I am apparently challenged in the measuring department, in that I complained to Mr. K that it was unfair that the recipe make half as much as it was supposed to and I didn't even eat the dough and he said maybe I made them too big and I said no, they're supposed to be one inch balls....aren't these one inch balls? and he stared at them and then walked outside laughing. My balls are too big, and get your mind out of the gutter, willya?)
Double Almond Pastries
S'mores Bars
Chocolate Raspberry Bars
Truffle Brownies
Orange Cranberry Bars
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
2 Loaves of Pumpkin Bread

I have eleventeen works in progress, which is Knitingale speak for "I'm pretending that I'm going to finish this even though we all know I'm just waiting until it's sat there long enough that everyone who ever saw it forgot about it and I no longer feel guilty about unravelling it"

I have the Boku beckoning me shamelessly every time I come near it.

I could invest ten years and 3.5 gallons of elbow grease and still not fully de-cookie my kitchen.

And yet.....and yet........

And yet, I have a terrible and compelling urge to dig out some origami paper and make hundreds of cunning little paper cranes to thread on gold thread and hang on the Christmas tree that we don't have yet. Oh, and find the glue gun and repair the garland of peppermints I made the other year and maybe make it a little longer (you just glue the little twisty cellophane ends together...and burn your thumb and forefinger holding them until the glue sets--this last is apparently very important.). And make a little snowman family out of styrofoam balls and knit scarves and hats for them.

I have lost my mind.

I think perhaps, for the good of all humanity, I should go lie down. Would anyone like to come try to talk some sense into me? I have cookies.

5 Comments:

  • At 4:42 PM, Blogger Marianne said…

    I am on my way..... I'm also bringing extra glue sticks.... :^)

     
  • At 4:42 PM, Blogger Lynn said…

    No, ma'am, I'm having way too much fun on the Crazy Bus myself. Though I wouldn't mind a double handful of those cookies.

     
  • At 9:13 PM, Blogger Tola said…

    trade ya. you can pack up and clean my house in preparation for moving 2500 miles away. but keep yer mitts offa my man cuz you got yerself a good 'un already. just sayin'

     
  • At 2:02 PM, Blogger ~Tonia~ said…

    Wow you have done some serious baking. Hopefully you will be able to get the crazyness out at the beginning of the month and be able to relax at the end.

     
  • At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'll bring the chai! (Do you need any glitter? [g])

     

Post a Comment

<< Home